Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Scottish Food


While in Scotland last week, I decided it was necessary to try at least a few new things. I didn't really intend to try haggis, as eating sheep's pluck (heart, liver, and intestines, that is) stuffed inside the sheep's stomach didn't sound particularly appealing to me, but I was informed by a few Scots that it was delicious, so I felt I had to try it.

I justified with myself that I enjoy pepperoni, and the main ingredient in that is pig heart. If I eat the pig's heart, why not the sheep's? That reasoning worked, and I was able to try haggis without gagging. It actually was pretty good; it tastes like a sausage (which it essentially is), but it was prepared more like ground beef, mixed up with oatmeal and various other herbs.

But the food that I discovered in Scotland and fell in love with was actually a home-baked good which I kept encountering in coffee shops and cafes throughout Scotland. I first discovered it on Wednesday, in the cafe at Edinburgh Castle. I went in for hot chocolate, and a bar with chocolate on top caught my eye. So I picked it up and bought it as well.

It was delicious. I was able to figure out that the bottom layer was a graham cracker-type layer, and the top was obviously chocolate, but I couldn't identify the middle layer. All I knew was that I loved it.

After encountering it twice more in Scotland, I finally decided to ask a lady in a coffee shop in Inverness what it was called. This lady was purchasing two of them, so I had a feeling she too was a fan of this amazing bar. She told me it was called Millionaire's Shortbread, and she commented on how delicious they are.

This also helped me to identify the middle layer of the treat as caramel.

And now here, for my viewers' pleasure, I provide you with a link to a recipe for Scotland's delicious home-baked good, the Millionaire's Shortbread at Joy of Baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment