Thursday, March 25, 2010

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Backpacking Around the Mainland

I never really expected that I would go backpacking around Europe, but I'm essentially doing that starting tomorrow. I've packed a backpack and a shoulder bag, and tomorrow morning at 9:30 AM I'm heading off to catch a coach, which will take me on a nine hour bus ride to Paris.

Once arriving in Paris, I intend to find my hostel, check in, and then go up to the Eiffel Tower, which has admission until 10:30 PM. I want to go up on my first night for two reasons: one, I'm sure Paris is beautiful at night, and the Eiffel Tower gets lit up at night time. And two, the more important reason: admission prices go up, starting on Saturday, March 27th.

At any rate, on Saturday I will spend the day exploring Paris by myself. I'll go to the Louvre and see some famous artwork (I plan to focus primarily on Monet and other Impressionists), and I'll visit Notre Dame which is free! I like free. Aurelie, my friend in Belgium, does not like Paris and has no advice for me regarding visiting Paris. However, she has a friend who loves Paris, and this friend has provided me with all sorts of suggestions on things to do in Paris. So I'm sure I won't find myself bored on Saturday.

Sunday morning, I'm flying to Venice where I will explore the canals and visit St. Mark's Square, as I have been instructed to do. After a day in Venice, I plan to take a train to Rome, where I will check in to my next hostel.

On Monday, I will either take a day trip to Florence (the fast trains are about a 3 hour journey), or I will stay in Rome. I would like to go see Michelangelo's and Dontello's Davids, but I can forgo Florence if necessary.

Either way, Tuesday will be devoted to Rome, where I plan to see the Coliseum (I don't believe it's worth 13 euros admission, so I will be satisfied with seeing), visit St. Peter's Basilica (free to visit, 4 euros to climb the stairs to the top. We'll play that one by ear), and visit the Vatican Museum for 13 euros (this price IS worth it, as it includes the Sistine Chapel). A free walk around the forum and Trajan's Market will also be in order! I'll be sure to wish in as many fountains as I can, assuming I don't go broke doing so!

Finally, bright and early Wednesday morning, I will fly from Rome to Riga, with a layover in Frankfurt on the way. I will be spending the rest of my week, from Wednesday to Monday, visiting with the Sirmacs in Riga. I am very excited to be returning to Latvia!

As preparations for my trip, I have done a little bit of grocery shopping. I have a large bottle of water (two liters), some crisps (AKA Pringles), some cheese crackers, some chocolate cookies, Easter candy that my parents sent me, some granola bars, and seven peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches. We'll see how far this gets me without paying for food!

I should have internet access while zipping around Europe, but don't expect blog entries while I'm out and about; I'll be busy, trying to soak in all the culture I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment