Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Beet Pizza

A couple days ago, I experimented with beet pizza. I had bought some pickled canned beets and thought it'd be interesting on a pizza.

So I started cooking some chicken, which I cooked with Philadelphia's lemon and herb cooking creme and some rosemary and basil.

As the chicken was cooking, I started prepping the pizza. I took some of the beet juice from the can and mixed it with some of the lemon and herb cooking creme for my pizza sauce. I spread this along the dough, then added some chunks of mozzarella cheese. Over this, I spread my chicken and some spinach, plus some chopped up beets. Then I popped it all in the oven and baked for about 15 minutes.

The end result looked a bit like a normal pizza, with a red sauce and nice big chunks of melted cheese. The taste was unique but delicious, with the beets providing a subtle sweetness. I could've used less spice in the sauce, as it created a taste that at times was a bit jarring. All in all though, beet pizza proved to be a unique take on pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment