Saturday, February 18, 2012

Typographic Explorations

There's a specific graphic design assignment that's very popular among teachers; I've had to do this exact project in high school, undergrad, and now in my Typography Studio I course. The gist is to take a word and create an appropriate feeling. In the past, I've been told to use text only, but this go around we're encouraged to use photography - but text is still supposed to be the primary focus. I don't have a digital copy of my high school exploration (I took the emotion "depression", shaped the word into rain drops, and had them raining across the page in dark colors), but I know the original exists in a portfolio at home.

At PLU, we had to take verbs and create the action of our word. I chose flicker, and two examples of that are located in this Facebook photo album. Becky was in that class, and as a result calls me Flicker. I'm actually in her phone as such.

The current variation of this assignment I have is to do a 10x10" example every week. The professor has provided the topic ahead of time, and everybody in the class submits an exercize on that same topic. Here's a brief example of some of the assignments, including 10 Pounds, 4:40 AM, and Temperature.






Additionally, a friend shared this brilliant link with me the other day. I have a thing for internet memes, typefaces, and cats, and...this is all three. So amuse yourself with Cats as Fonts!

No comments:

Post a Comment