Thursday, September 27, 2012

Why I Vote

I've voted in every election I've been eligible for since turning 18. Often, the issues are trivial local level stuff; I don't even know what to vote on so I just ask my dad to explain it to me. But I vote because it's a right I don't want to lose. Issues can't always be important, but I'd hate to lose my right to vote due to lack of use when something big comes around.

And this year, many somethings big have come around.

I've always hated politics; it's underhanded, manipulative, sneaky, and disgusting. You can't trust anything at face value without looking for facts (without bias!) and making your own value decisions. I won't watch political ads because I find them offensive; they seem to be undermining my intelligence, by telling me I should take everything they say at face value and assume the other party (the other party only) is lying to me. I don't respect that, and I would much rather respect an elected official or a policy. So I don't watch the ads; I don't use them to further my views, and I don't allow them to skew my views.

Instead, I watch the news. I ask questions and find the answers that are important to me. Then I start looking for multiple sources explaining which candidate will align best with my views. I refuse to be a sheep. I want my vote to count; it counts as my voice, standing for what I believe in.

I could explain now why I believe it's the moral, ethical, constitutional, Christian thing to support gay marriage and marriage equality. I could explain why I think the current Republican party promotes harmful, dangerous, and discriminatory policies for women and homosexuals. But there are many more eloquent arguments out there, elegantly laying out every argument I hold to be true. Instead, my point is this: that you should vote for something you can support. Vote for something that will not make you feel guilty or ashamed. Don't vote because a politician has manipulated you by omitting the right details and flashing a winning smile.

I'm voting because I believe we are at a crucial turning point; we can move forward into the 21st century, or we can digress back to the 19th century. I'm taking a stand and lending my voice and using my right that was hard-earned by women before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment